In Lagos, Nigeria. There is a type of bread popularly kn0wn as agege bread.its a local bread made out of white all purpose flour from hard wheat. This bread is so common and an everyday issue because its meant to last just for one day. Anything after that it becomes hard and stale,and the processing method also do not support longer shelf life. But this bread has the best texture ever,its feel is so soft and nice especially if you are eating together with “Agoyin” beans only Lagosians will know what am talking about because its part of our lifestyle. So back to the bread talk,anyway am not making agege bread but am using the knowlegde of bread making i got from my schooldays and the experience of German bread making too in combination to formulate an healthier version of yeast bread.Cinnamon and nutmeg are 2 kinds of spices that are a good source of dietary fiber ,lowers blood sugar and controls blood cholesterol apart from the fact that its delicious and one of best flavour in terms of spices.cinammon had been in use for thousand of years now and it lowers the risk factors of heart diseases.its loaded with antioxidants that protects the body from free radicals.it also effective as an anti inflammatory,helps the body fights infections and repairs damage tissues.in the case of diabetics cinnammon increases the sentivity to the hormones insulin.it fights against insulin resistance that is a problem for most diabetics.it also have effect on Neurodegenerative diseases that can result in diseases like Alzheimer and Parkinson’s diseases. Can also fights uncontrol growth of cells that causes cancer.Cinnamon fights against micro organism that causes infections too. All these and more is to be benefited from the consumption of these wonderful spice.
Nutmeg as a spice has also a wide range of health benefits including helping with better food digestion and detoxification.it helps in boosting the skin condition better. Reduces the condition of Insomnia and prevents Leukamia in cells.it also reduces inflammation and increases blood flow in the body. Has a good value of Vitamin B and its derivatives including Folate. Nutmeg also have a compound similar to menthol that helps in the reliving of pains such as arthritis. Nutmeg also have component that prevent bad breath and increase oral health it destroys the bacteria that is responsible for bad breath helps the immunity of the gums forster strong teeth. Mostly all other things that cinnamon works for the nutmeg does too,they are in many ways similar. Adding more spices to food preparation can boost ones quality of life and healthy living altogether.
Serving: 8. Preparation time: 1 hour . Baking time :45 minutes
Proofing time : overnight. Baking temperature : 150 degrees celcius.
- All purpose baking flour. 500 g
- Granulated sugar. 2 tbsp
- Salt 1 tsp
- Shortener. 80 g
- Egg. 1 pc
- Brown sugar. 4 tbsp
- Cinnamon. 1 tsp
- Nutmeg. 1 tsp
- Water.(tepid) 2 cups
- Vanilla essence. 1 tsp
- Fast rising Yeast. 2 tsp
- Baking powder. 1 tsp
Preparation and baking instructions
- Take half cup of tepid water,add the granulated sugar and yeast stir together and set aside in a dry place for ten minutes.
- Pour the flour and other dry ingredients in the mixer add other ingredients and mix at low speed. Then add slowly the water and increase speed to medium.
- Mix till you get a firm non sticky dough. Sprinkle some flour and knead well after mixing.
- Transfer into a deep and big bowl,take a clean cloth and make wet with warm water ,dry and use to cover the dough in the bowl then set aside for 45 minutes.Take out the dough and knead very well to let out all the air in the dough and knead again after 15 minutes.
- Bring out the baking pan and cream it with some margerine then dust with some flour .portion the dough accordingly into the pans keep in a warm dry place for it to rise . When i bake i make the preparation at night and then bake in the morning,this way it allows for the bread to rise very well and the bread soft in texture.
- When dough is ready for baking preheat the oven to 200 degrees celcius for 10 minutes. Then transfer the the dough into the oven and immediately reduce the heat down to 150 degrees celsius and bake until a golden brown crust appear then it is ready . Transfer the baked bread to the cooling table and remove from the pan.There this is how i make the bread i eat with my family you should try it too.
- Calories. 858.5 kcal
- Total Fat. 17.5 g
- Saturated Fat. 5.2 g
- Cholesterol. 75.4 mg
- Sodium. 546.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate. 47.6 g
- Dietary Fiber. 17.4 g
- Sugars. 12.3 g
- Protein. 19.5 g