My husband wake up as early as 4 am and by this he makes his own breakfast and takes time to prepare it also because he doesnt eat out. But there lies the problem.,he makes sure there are more than enough eggs and butter with other ingredients,the egg is my problem because as a German eggs,cheese,butter,breads,sausages,and coffee is paramount for breakfast.
So our last visit to the Dr got me thinking on how to atleast bring down his calories intake drastically.
I started by getting an egg york seperator and bought sardine and tuna instead of sausages,margerine instead of butter and whole wheat bread instead white bread. With a lot of vegetables to go along and spices blend making sure i excluded salt.
My husband like eating the Nigerian toast bread version
so much because he finds it different,appetizing and filling but too much calories is the only problem we have to figure out how to reduce hence my drastic step. My husband doesnt get fat even when eats so much but what i worry about is blood cholesterol. High Cholesterol in the blood can lead to so many complications. Blood cholesterol can get higher from fatty foods and high calories which could lead to heart diseases and stroke,the higher your blood cholesterol the higher your chances of stroke and heart related diseases.
Cholesterol is the fatty substances that build up in the walls of your arteries over time if the build up continues it causes a hardening of the artery such that the artery that carries blood to the heart is narrowed or blocked leading to heart attack or stroke. This is because the blood carries oxygen to the heart and if the hardened artery is narrowed or blocked blood can not get to a portion of the heart. The result is heart attack or stroke.
According to research it is stipulated that everyone after 20 should check thier cholesterol every 5 years,it is relevant to know your cholestrol level and if you already have high cholesterol before it gets complicated it is advisable to take steps in lowering your cholesterol level. Managing blood cholesterol level is for everone both young and old s0 as to prevent this problem of heart diseases from occuring most especially if you have issues of chest pains.
Reducing the amount of saturated fat in your diet and cholesterol in the food you eat can reduce your risk of having heart attack or stroke. So i suggest we re examine what goes into our mouth to prevent us from Avoidable health complications.
Preparation time:45 minutes
Cooking time:10 minutes
Cooking temperature:medium low
- Whole wheat slice breads. 1 pack
- Eggs. 10 pcs ( seperated)
- Tuna. 1 can (shredded)
- Sardine. 1 can (shredded)
- Margerine 15 g
- Mixed vegetables. 1 cup (sliced thinly)
- Turmeric. 1 tsp
- Aadun seasoning powder. 1 tsp
- Garlic. 2 cloves (grated)
- Ginger. 1 inche. (Grated)
- Fresh Tomatoes. 2 large sizes (sliced)
- Fresh herbs. Handful (cut in bits)
- Scotch bonnet. 1 pcs (grated)
- Cinnamon powder. 1 tsp
Recipe preparation and cooking instructions
Take the the egg yolk seperator and start by breaking the the eggs one after the other inside the seperator when the yolks are seperated keep them in a container with cover set aside the egg white mix,you can use the egg yolk for baking or freeze in an air tight container to be used at a later date.
- Pour the mixed vegetables and other ingredients in the egg white mix stir everything together,set aside and then cream one side the bread slices with as little margerine as possible but make sure that the whole side is covered with a thin sheet of the margerine. Put on the sandwich maker and lay the bread slices down inside the sandwich maker on the sides that was cream with margerine. Take a teaspoon and add the toastbread spread inside each slices smear the mix to go round the slices and cover with another creamed slice of bread such that the side with the margerine faces up and will be in contact with the hot surface.cover the Toaster and cook for 5 to 6 minutes . My toaster gives an alarm and a green light when the toast is ready. You can enjoy with tea/coffee or water. And the remaining egg mix can be refrigerated. It can still last 3 to 4 days under refrigerated conditions.
- Calories 121 kcal
- Total Fat. 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat. 1.1 g
- Dietary Fiber. 10.8 g
- Cholesterol. 5.1 mg
- Total carbohydrate. 16.8 g
- Sodium. 258.5 mg
- Sugar 3.6 g
- Protein. 41.3 g
The sandwich spread can be be made in batches if you are an early riser like my husband and very busy. It can be included in batch meals planned for the week ahead and refrigerated to be used whenever needed. Being busy is not an excuse for eating junk. Your meals can be carefully selected and prepared in batches at the weekend,one part deep frozen and the smaller part refrigerated to be eaten in the next days according to the size of your family. But remember once a cooked food or raw food is brought out of the freezer and totally defrosted it can not be returned back into the freezer.
Have a blessed day all