ok seeing this long title now you will am about to make one out of this world but that is not the case as this is one recipe that is familiar with every single household in Nigeria because it inlcludes the most staple food in the country which is rice and with stew which can go also with almost anything.There is even a saying in Nigeria,everything that blends together go like rice and stew.
its a simple recipe yet deliciuos in its simplicity,all you to do is get the smoked marckerel ready and blend the pepper and tomatoes with other ingredients ready for making the gravy then boil the rice on one side,before you know it the food is ready to be served.
The nutritional highpoint of this recipe is the roasted fish and vegetables,instead of frying the fish as it is the usual practice i hopted for roasting which better cooking practice because i want to consume as less oil as possible because of cholesterol and calories wahala,though i do not have high cholesterol i am still within safe range and i intend to keep it that way.The vegetables will also add value nutritionally ,the needed dietary fiber with vitamins and minerals.
serving : 6
Preparation Time:1 hour
Cooking Temperature:medium high
- Parboiled rice 500 g
- olive oil 200 ml
- Palm oil 300 ml
- Fish 2 medium sizes (cut,washed and seasoned)
- salt 2 tbs (divided)
- Paprika 2 pcs (deseeded,cut)
- Onions 2 bulbs(sliced)
- Tomatoes 4 large sizes(cut)
- scotch bonnet pepper 1 (cut)
- Aadun seasoning powder 1 tbs
- fresh herbs handful (cut)
- vegetables handful (sliced)
Recipe Preparation and cooking instructions
- wash and de gut the fish ,season and set aside preheat the oven for 10 minutes and transfer the fish to the oven and grill for 45 moinutes or until the fish is well roasted.
- Pour the paprika,tomatoes,onions,garlic and ginger,blend together then set aside.
- wash the rice and set a cooking pot on the cooker put water just above the level the of rice slice onions and add some olive oil cook until tender then set aside.
- set a saucepanon the cooker on medium high temperature, let sizzle and add the onion and the seasoning powder fry until the onions appear tender,then pour the paprika mix stir and continue frying for 45 minutes and then add salt the smoked fish and the fresh herbs stir together.
- serve the rice and stew with plantain together with the vegetables
- Calories 185.5 kcal
- Total Fat 6.4 g
- cholesterol 26.6 mg
- Sodium 176.4 mg
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Total Carbohydrates 18.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.4 g
- Protein 36.7 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
the rice and stew recipe is better served with plantain to boost its appeal,and the stew can alsobe prepared with chicken,meats or fried fish,however you like it rice and fish stew is a winner anyday.