Plantain which contains more starch and less sugar and its usually cooked or process before eaten is otherwise known as cooked bananas its called Alloco in Cote d’Iviore and dodo in West Nigeria. Kelewele is a side dish in Ghana it’s a spicy plantain fried and served alongside red beans and fish stew. In Nigeria plantain can also be fried with fried egg as a side dish.
Weekend meals are more special in planning because it’s the time I make my batch dishes to portion and store some in the freezer some in the refrigerator, most especially I prepare quick ready to eat and full nutrients rich meals like this on Sunday afternoon after a light breakfast.
Plantain is actually a cooking banana cultivars in the genus Musa whose fruits Is usually cooked before eaten unlike the actual banana that is eaten as a fruit without cooking.
Plantain can be eaten in the unripe type and starchy,it can also be eaten in ripen stage usually cooked,fried or roasted.Raw plantain is an excellent sourceof Vitamin B6 and C and a good source of Magnesium and Potassium it also contains beta carotene in little amount. Though it is high in calories but not much of Protein. It also contains Lutein and Zeaxanthin with about 3% of polyunsaturated fatty acids. This is why the unripe types is a favourite food of people with diabetes because in the unripe stage has more dietary fiber about 4.5 % of it.
Plantain help boost the immune system and also regulates digestion and controls the activities of harmful free radicals that are produced when foods are being broken down and when the body is exposed to things like tobacco smoke or radiation.
Plantain allergy can occur typical characteristic of itchiness,mild swelling of the tongue ,lips ,palate or throat or stomach pains.
The Protein fat and oil that is lacking in plantain can also be be augmented with eggs. Fried eggs is more than capable enough to make the plantain dish a balanced diet and by including some vegetables with the eggs,it became a good well complemented meal.
Preparation time:30 minutes
Cooking time:30 minutes
- Eggs 4 (Broken in a bowl )
- Tomatoes 2 medium (sliced)
- Paprika 1/2 (deseeded,diced)
- Onions 1 medium (chopped
- Scotch bonnet pepper 1 pcs (sliced)
- Salt 1/2 teaspoon
- Sun flower oil 1/2 liter
Recipe Preparation and Cooking Instructions.
- Pour the oil in the frying pan and then the onions let sizzle and pour pepper and vegetables with salt.
- Whisk the eggs until well mixed then pour in the sizzling vegetables mix let fry and scrambled the mix after 5 minutes then set aside.
- Peel the plantain and slice in pieces place another frying pan on the cooker add your cooking oil and let it heat up then throw in the sliced plantain in batches and fry until light Brown then transfer to a strainer to drain oil.
- Serve with scrambled eggs and enjoy!!!