Egusi soup is a favourite amongst Nigerians and its a soup that traditional with the Ibo and Yoruba tribes and it can be pepared in different ways,with or without vegetables but this recipe will be prepared with vegetables.
Spinach is an excellent source of Vitamin k and Vitamin A derivatives in form of carotenoids ,manganese, folate,magnesium, iron,copper,Vitamin B2,Vitamin E,Vitamin C, Potassium, Calcium ,also including Phosphorus ,Vitamin B1,Since,Choline, protein and alot dietary fiber.
Spinach is filled with antioxidants when it comes to eliminating free radicals and also lowering and controlling the blood pressure,it is low in calories and high in fiber.
Spinach is filled with vitamin E and this is great for the skin and the antioxidants it contains fight against skin infections and diseases.
Spinach add bulk to stool making it easier for stool to pass through the digedigestive system easily and actually help to improve digestion in the long run.
Egusi or Agushi seeds is the fat and protein rich of a particular cucurbitaceous plants (squash,melon,gourd) which are being dried peeled and used as cuisines in West Africa.
These seeds are filled with Vitamin B folate,niacin and minerals zinc,manganese, iron,magnesium and potassium.
In Nigeria egusi is traditional also eaten among Efik and Ibibio people ,Hausa people and in Ghana it is called akaota of Agushi and like as in Nigeria is used to make soups and the Tapa people also use it for a fried snacks called robo In Ghana the seeds are used for soups especially in palava sauce.
Preparation Time:50 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Cooking Temperature :Medium
- Spinach 250 g (washed)
- Chili pepper 1 tsp ( powder)
- Palm oil 300 ml
- Stock broth 500 ml
- Egusi seeds 500 (blended)
- onions 1 big bulb(blend)
- Aadun seasoning 1 tbs
- Salt 2 tsp (divided)
- Roasted fish 200 g ( shredded)
- Grilled goatmeats 500 g
- Locusts beans 1 tbs
- Garlic 2 clove (minced )
- Ginger 1 inch (grated)
- Grounded dry crayfish 100 g
Recipe Preparation and Cooking Instructions
- For the grilled goatmeats see the recipe for grilled goatmeats
- Set a cooking pot on the cooker at medium high temperature , add the stock broth some sliced onions chili pepper and the locust beans. Let cook for 15 minutes
- Pour the blended egusi in a bowl and add blended onions enough to make a thick paste. Don’t over add onions so that you can be able to make egusi balls.
- In the boiling stock mix add the roasted shredded fish stir then begin to drop egusi balls in the mix one after the other until all goes in,then add your oil and reduce the temperature to medium low so the soup mix will not start burning.cook for 10 minutes then check if the soup is thicken if yes then you can stir gently and add grounded crayfish and your grilled goatmeats and 1 teaspoon salt with aadun seasoning powder and stir together and cook further for 10 minutes.
- Slice the washed spinach and add to the soup mix stir cover to cook for 5 minutes then transfer to cooling table. Do not overcook the vegetables.
- Serve hot with any side dish of your choice, it goes with all swallows and rice ,you can even eat with bread if you please. Enjoy!!!
- Calories 458.4 kcal
- Total Fat 35.4
- Saturated Fat 10.3
- Total carbohydrate 8.9
- Cholesterol 106.4 mg
- Total carbohydrate 9.3
- Dietary Fibre 7.5
- Sodium 436.6 mg
- Protein 55.3
- Sugars 3.8 g