Meat pie recipe is a popular pie desserts in various cuisines globally which could be made into different shapes in pie dishes or in roll over forms and sealed at the hedges in a decorative fashion. Today the forms are sold in stores which makes it easier and more decorative to make.the smallest of these forms can even be used to make ravioli .Nigerian minced meat pie has been around for decades and I can say its a culinary influence from the days of colonialism. Though since it has been inculcated in our cuisines its became an important part of our delicacies. As a matter of fact the crunchiness of the pie covering and the deliciousness of the filling depends first on your first ingredients and second how the ingredients are combined and thirdly level of shortening to flour portion i.e the butter or margarine you use. And it could also come in another filling of minced minced chicken or fish even duck pie. However you wanted the filling or the kind of meat you want your filling to contain. Then root vegetable specifically Irish potatoes and other choice vegetables like carrots, green beans,sweet corns green and red paprika ,Scotch bonnet peppers ,cabbage,etc. And with cooking to tenderize the mix if the filling became watery its a matter of adding corn flour to the mix so that fluid does not run out other pie during baking. The corn flour serves as thickener but if corn flour is not available you should use conventional all purpose flour to thicken the mix.
As for the orange juice popsicles it contains one and only ingredient. Fresh expressed Oranges juice in popsicle forms . Deeply frozen and set then taken out.
These combination is a good after break of fast meals especially since these Ramadan period fell in summer period when the day is hot and in the evening a fasting brother or sister might want to cool down with. Taking the time stress and efforts to take juice expressed from fresh fruits is much more beneficial nutritionally than any other processed fruit juices available because it a known fact that during processing a lot of vitamins and mineral goodness are lost and this make’s it incomparable to fresh fruits where you get all good nutrients in their natural state. Fresh fruits juices and smoothies are also good for refreshment and natural detoxification of the body from harmful free radicals because of the abundance of anti oxidant properties they contain.
Preparation Time: 75 minutes
Cooking: 45 minutes
Cooking Temperature:-2 to 165 Celsius
INGREDIENTS FOR NIGERIAN MINCED MEAT PIE
- All purpose flour 500 g
- Shortener 250 g
- Salt. 1/2 tsp
- Aaadun seasoning powder. 2 tsp (divided)
- Cinnamon powder. 1/4 tsp
- Nutmeg. 1/4 tsp
- Baking powder 1/4 tsp
- Eggs 2 pcs
- Corn flour. 2 tsp
- Potatoes. 4 medium size pcs ( peeled /diced)
- Cabbages. 1 cup( diced)
- Carrots. 4 medium size pcs (diced)
- Sweet corns. 2 tbs
- Scotch bonnet pepper. 1 PC(chopped)
- Onions. 1 large bulb(chopped)
- Spring onion. 1 sprig (chopped)
- Minced meat. 250 g
- Green Paprika. 1 PC ( deseeInstructions
Recipe Preparation And Cooking Instructions
- On a cooker under medium high heat place your cooking pot ,pour the potatoes in cook for 15 minutes then add the carrots cook for 5 minutes and then stir together ,add the minced mea ,salt and seasoning ,throw in the onions and cooking further till the mix is tender then add the remaining vegetables let cook further for 5 more minutes then stir well see how thick the mix is if fluid still come out when it simmers then you need to add your corn flour appropriately till when you scoop up table spoonful there is no dripping. Then its OK and ready. Set aside to cool .
- Pour the soften shortener with the flour into the mixer mix together on medium speed when the mixture is fully mixed together, add a little cold water the 1 egg ,cinnamon, nutmeg, 1/2 tsp of the aadun seasoning,salt,baking powder, then continue mixing for some minutes then stop mixing bring the dough out and sprinkle some flour on the dough and knead to smoothen the dough.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees
- Clean the work table and prepare the dough and the Rolling pin flour and the pie form, egg yolk in a small bowl with pastry brush,
- Sprinkle some flour on the cleaned work table take some dough and roll out using the the Rolling pin to spread the dough
place the spreaded dough on the pie form
- Continue this step until the the dough is finished ,whisk the egg yolk take the pastry brush and dip into the egg yolk mix and use it to brush the pie crust before putting the pie into the oven.
- Bake at 170 degree Celsius until for 35 minutes or until golden brown color appear on the crust then its ready.
Calories. 456.3 kcal
Total Fat 10.4 g
Saturated Fat. 4.3 g
Total Carbohydrate. 16 .4 g
Cholesterol. 12.7 mg
Sodium 175.8 mg
Sugar. 1.2 g
Dietary fiber. 3.7 g
Protein. 12.7 g
INGREDIENTS FOR ORANGE JUICE POPSICLE
- Fresh Oranges. 4 Large sizes (sliced into two)
Recipe Preparation And Fruit juice Expression.
- I used an orange juice pressing kitchen machine. Makes it easier and brings out more fluids.
- Portion the juice mix in the popsicle form
and into the freezer ,deep freeze the juice for up to 2 hours before checking to see if its set.
- Calories. 35 kcal
- Total Fat. 0 g
- Saturated Fat 0 g
- Total Carbohydrate. 8 g
- Cholesterol. 0 mg
- Sodium. 1.1 mg
- Sugar. 6.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Protein. 2.1 g