Crunchy chin chin made easy
Chin chin as the name implies is crunchy cracker like snacks you can munch casually anytime of the day.it is a snack common in Nigeria and other West African countries. It is a snack made with flour meal,sugar,butter,sometimes dry skimmed milk and other ingredients like nutmeg. Sometimes the flour from cowpeas can also be added to the flour for chin chin. It involves kneading similar to that of bread dough only the yeast and rising procedure is excluded in the making of chin chin. The dough is usually cut out from quarter of an inch to 1 inch size long. The dough is kneaded and sliced horizontally an inch thick cut to desired length,because some people like their chin chin a little bit long. If you like to make kneading and slicing procedure easier the tip is to use the noodle making machine to knead smooth and cut. How sweet your chin is actually depending on your amount of sugar ,if you like it sweeter,and the crunchiness is dependent on the amount of dry skimmed milk used and less butter you use the less foamy your frying oil will be,since chin chin is a deep frIed snack.
- Flour 500 g
- sugar 100 g
- Margarine 80 g
- Dry skimmed milk 100 g
- egg 1 pc
- nutmeg 1 nut
- Cinnamon powder 1 half teaspoon
- salt 1 half teaspoon
- Oil for frying 1 litre
- Water half cup
Recipe Preparation and Frying Instructions
- Pour the dry ingredients the mixer i use a mixer,add the eggs and margarine,start mixing on low speed because we don’t want to get flours everywhere.
- When the mix becomes one add some cold water continue mixing on medium speed until you get a smooth dough. if your dough is not firm enough add some flour if too hard add a bit more water ,mix some more.
- Take the dough out and sprinkle some flour on it then rub some on your hands,then start kneading until the dough is no more sticky and really firm and smooth,check the dough by cutting some with your ,it must not be too easy to cut and not too hard,the texture be right for rolling out and cutting,sticky doughs are difficult to cut and too much margarine makes the to break away easily while rolling
- Sprinkle some flour on the work table, roll out the dough to at least half an inch thickness and wide enough on the working table.
- Slicing is better using a pizza cutter,it rolls easily up and down and and cuts into pastries.its good for slicing horizontally and vertically.
- If you slice horizontally long then cut vertically at least one inch or half inch long , cut all the dough and prepare the oil for frying.
- Pour the oil in the frying pan and put on the cooker when you drop a piece of chin chin dough in the oil and it sizzles on top of the oil and quick to fry to brown then the oil is ready to fry.
- Begin frying in batches the chin chin pastry till golden brown take care not to get too much and continue till finish.
- You can serve the chin chin with any drink of your choice or just munch away at it.